Oct 25 2010
You probably know someone who has created a web site all by himself or herself. So if they can do it why use a professional at all? Can’t you create your own business or organization’s web site in your spare time and without the services of a professional web site designer? The answer is probably, yes. But following are some reasons why it may not be a wise idea for you.
Many non-professionals use WYSIWYG (What You See Is What You Get) web page creating software. While this kind of software is nice in that it’s similar to working with a word processing program, many of these programs don’t write “valid” HTML code. The problem with invalid HTML code is that while the page may look fine on your own browser, it may not look even acceptably good on some other browsers or even on different versions of the same browser. Able Interactive designs web pages that WILL validate according to W3C validations specifications.
Time is a precious commodity. Is it better to take the time away from your business and other activities to learn how to create and maintain an effective web site? You need to decide if you have the time to follow through on these necessary parts of web site design:
– Learn HTML coding (it requires more than just wysiwyg web editing software)
– Learn how to use the various software packages needed to:
– create and edit web pages
– scan or otherwise create graphics
– optimize graphics
– upload pages to the host
– run telnet sessions
– decipher raw log files to analyze traffic to your web site. – Learn good web design principles – design your pages so they load quickly, are easy to navigate and do well in Search Engine queries
– Learn where to go and how to obtain a domain name
– Learn what to do with the web pages once they are created – where they go and how to get them there.
– Obtain several types of browser software to test your web pages for browser compatibility/validity.
Saving money is often the reason most would consider designing their own web site. But by designing their own, are they really saving? It’s takes a substantial monetary investment to purchase the necessary software to create a professional looking web site. It also takes a considerable amount of time to learn how to use the various programs effectively. Many business owners don’t have that kind of time to spare and are usually better off investing their time in what they know best – running their business.
When a professional web designer is hired you, the customer, receives the benefits of their business experience, artistic talent, technological skills and the expertise to help you establish a effective, highly visible presence on the Internet. They will work with you to analyze your competitions’ web presence – their strengths and weaknesses. Using that research they will construct your web site based on your business strengths and the weaknesses of your competition. Your web pages will be built to load quickly, be user friendly, appeal to your target audience and encourage repeat visits.